Review: Where Rainbows End

Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern
◆ Read December 2014
◆ English Edition
◆ Purchase: The Book Depository
◆ 
❝ From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family move from Dublin to America - and Alex goes with them. For good.

Rosie's lost without him. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever - and keep her at home in Ireland.

Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of each others lives, but neither of them knows whether their friendship can survive the years and miles - or new relationships. And at the back of Rosie's mind is whether they were meant to be more than just good friends all along. Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them apart, but when presented with the ultimate opportunity, will they gamble everything for true love?
Wheh, I finished this in a really short amount of time! Where Rainbows End has a much deeper plot than the average chick-lit and is a real pageturner at that. It did remind me of One Day but further research told me that this book was published well before Nicholl's, so I think Ahern might have inspired some authors in their writing!

I wasn't aware that the story was told entirely through correspondence between characters in the form of emails, instant messages and carrds. Once I realized that, I thought that the format would bother me, but surprisingly it didn't! It's always nice to read something in a completely different format and it certainly helped that it was executed really well. The correspondence taught me anything I needed to know, story-progression wise. Another pro is that it allowed me to get to know the characters for what they really were like, without focusing on looks. 

There were multiple plot turns that I really did not expect but I approved of them greatly. Many romance novels are known to focus on all the lovey-dovey stuff and happy endings. This book was almost depressing in contrast because things did not go according to plan for the protagonists. The fact that he moves, that she gets pregnant unexpectedly, that they both get married to different people etc. gave the story a realistic touch though. It was kind of similar to what I've seen people go through in real life, Not everything works out according to plan in the real world (far from it) and Ahern portrayed that brilliantly. 

The main reason why I finished this book so quickly was because it was highly amusing. There were so many funny scenes and jokes that I often found myself smiling while reading. And it wasn't just Rosie, Ruby was hilarious too and so were other characters. 

The only thing that I disliked about Where Rainbows End is that at a certain point, the story got a little long winded. I liked that the characters did not end up together immediately, but when it still didn't happen around 400 pages I started to get a bit annoyed. I did not feel right to conclude the book when they were about fifty years old and I wish the author would have wrapped it up in about 50 to a 100 pages earlier! 

So yes, this novel could definitely have been shorter (512 pages is very long for this genre) but it was still so entertaining. I fell in love with the characters and felt every emotion they felt. In the end this was a much more heartfelt and realistic telling of what life can be like than I expected. I can't wait to see the movie adaption now!

4 stars because:
✓ Interesting format
✓ Realistic aspects to plot
✓ Funny
✗Too many pages 
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...