DIY: Christmas Ornament I (Sphere)

Christmas is my favorite time of the year and one of the things I love about it, is decorating the christmas tree. However, this year I wanted to do something different, so I decided to make some bookish ornaments! From this day forth I will post DIY's on how to make different types of ornaments from book pages (I suggest you use an old, uninteresting book for these tutorials). The first one is for a sphere as pictured above!

Materials:
  • 10 strips of paper (13cm x 2 cm)
  • ruler
  • ribbon
  • needle
  • scissors

STEP 1. Cut 10 strips out of some old book pages. The ones I used were 13cm x 2 cm. You can change the size but it will affect how your sphere will look in the end. 

STEP 2. Make a neat stack out of the strips, then make a hole at the top of the stack. Because it needs to be as small a hole as possible, I used a needle. 

STEP 3. Thread a ribbon through the hole, then tie knots at the front and the back where the ribbon meets the paper. This will assure that the strips will stay into place. 

STEP 4. Make a hole at the other end of the stack thread and knot the ribbon the same way as in the previous step. Make sure you pull the ribbon tight enough so that the stack will form half a circle as pictured above. Don't cut the ribbon off on both sides, you'll want to hang it in the tree with one side of the ribbon. 

STEP 5. Once you've secured the ribbon at both sides, all that's left is to shift the pieces one by one until they form a full sphere/ball. The end result should look something like the picture at the top of the page.

So there you have it! More DIY's will follow soon, so stay tuned! 
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...