Review: Clockwork Angel

◆ Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
◆ Read November 2014
◆ English Edition
◆ Purchase: The Book Depository
◆ 
❝ The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....
Clockwork Angel has been on my TBR-list for a long time. The synopsis sounded amazing but because I did not like a the first book in another series by the same author (I'm talking about City of Bones), I felt kind of afraid to start this. I loved this book though, so my worries were unnecessary. 

One of the main reasons why I did not like City of Bones that much, was because I simply did not care for some of the important characters. In this book though, every character was interesting in their own right. More importantly though, Clare did something clever in making sure to describe the back stories and characteristics of less present characters, like Camille.  Even if a character only appears in a couple of chapters, I want to find out more about them and the author made sure of that.

Furthermore, I got really invested in the story. I liked the idea of the Shadowhunters already existing in the 19th century and naturally all of the Victorian aspects, from dresses to manners, got me hooked. Moreover, the aspect of the robots coming alive and obeying wishes from masters was a brilliant twist on an otherwise not-modern time period and so exciting to read about! It was exciting and frightening at the same time and really served as an important bit of tension in the plot. 


What really surprised me was my reaction towards the love triangle. I am prone to dislike love triangles in books with a fierce hatred and usually do. I was not in the very least surprised that Clockwork Angel contained a love triangle, but what did surprise me is the way the author handled it. Both boys fell for the girl but there was no struggle whatsoever over her. In fact, their crush was not even that much on the foreground and was more like a side-plot throughout the book. Though I still felt rather conflicted on who to root for, the lack of conflict resulted in me not really feeling bothered by the love triangle. And believe me, that is a huge deal for me!


I did really dislike one thing. I thought Will was a spectacular character. He was dark and often mean, but also really funny and handsome. Sounds perfect, wouldn't you think? The thing is though, his character was utterly, completely unoriginal. Because the same characteristics were already manifested in one of Clare's previous characters, Jace. It's been said countless times before in reviews, but Will is Jace, Jace is Will. The only difference is the time period they live in. It fe;t like a cop out and I found it incredibly lazy of the author, especially considering how unique most of the other characters in the book were.

Apart from this one (very prominent) flaw, Clockwork Angel is a really exciting read with lots of little interesting aspects and great characters. I believe it's an especially great read for people who are already a fan of The Mortal Instruments!

4 stars because:
✓ Multidimensional characters
✓ Victorian time period with a modern twist
✓ Love triangle not bothersome
✗Male character is an exact copy of another character
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...