Review: Fifty Shames of Earl Grey

◆ Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin
◆ Read July 2014
◆ English Edition
◆ 
❝ Young, arrogant, tycoon Earl Grey seduces the na├»ve coed Anna Steal with his overpowering good looks and staggering amounts of money, but will she be able to get past his fifty shames, including shopping at Walmart on Saturdays, bondage with handcuffs, and his love of BDSM (Bards, Dragons, Sorcery, and Magick)? Or will his dark secrets and constant smirking drive her over the edge?
Fifty Shames of Earl Grey is a parody on Fifty Shades of Grey, a book that I wrote a not-so-positive review for some time ago [read it here]. Long story short: I hated Fifty Shades of Grey and a parody seemed like a good way to forget about E.L. James. This parody is a clever adaption of the original, but it was unfortunately not nearly as funny as I had hoped.

What I did like about this parody is that it called E.L. James out on all the strange aspects of the plot and her unskillful writing in Fifty Shades of Grey. For example, "I gaze into his gazing eyes gazingly like a gazelle gazing into another gazelle's gazing gaze" indicates the bad descriptions in the original book while “take your finger out of your nose, Miss Steal" is criticism for the repeated mention of the protagonist biting her lip. The parody is filled with with sentences like this, along with a big focus on the unlogical way the plot progresses, and frequent mentions of Twilight and vampires. 

But while this is all very clever, the book wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. In fact, it did not even make me chuckle, which is the least I expect from any parody. The Goodreads description calls it "a shrewd, laugh–out–loud parody" and I fully expected this when I started reading this book. The fact that it did not make me laugh once, that is was mostly smiles and eye-rolls, disappointed me. 

Needless to say, it is a good parody, it just isn't great which is why I'm giving it two stars. I definitely recommend it to anyone who dislikes Fifty Shades of Grey though, I think you'll definitely enjoy this one.

2 stars because:
✓ Clever way of incorporating criticism in writing and plot
✗ Not nearly as funny as I expected.

 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...