Review: The Death Cure


◆ The Death Cure by James Dashner
◆ Read May 2014
◆ English Edition
◆ 
❝  Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?❞
I feel like The Death Cure was a decent enough book to end the trilogy. I finished it in one day, so needless to say I liked it. The thing is though, I did not love it, even if it was somewhat better than The Scorch Trials. 

What I loved about this book is pretty much the same as with the other books: The plot was really good and interesting, and it was extremely action-filled. It's never a boring read which makes it so much easier to keep turning the pages. Furthermore, I really liked the ending with them ending up in this alternate paradise. It felt like some sort of redemption for the remaining characters and I'm glad it ended up as a somewhat happy ending. 

However, as has mostly been the case with this book series, I had some issues with the book whilst reading. 

Thomas was still annoying and Gary-Stuish, but since I've established that by now I will go no further into it. Once you set certain characteristics as an author, you cannot easily change or remove them. So, though it's a shame, it's not something that could be changed suddenly by the third book. 

What did really bother me was the plot speed. The pace was really inconsistent throughout the book, and towards the ending spiraled out of control. Everything happened so fast and quick in succession that it left me wishing for a slower pace. It was just too much to handle at once.

Which brings me to my second criticism: there were way too many character deaths that were rushed (with exception of the death of a certain favorite boy, whose death thankfully was the best thing ever). While I'm okay with character deaths to a certain level, the amount of death in this book was just ridiculous and unnecessary. Furthermore, most deaths were so rushed that it felt hard for me to feel any emotion at all, apart from anger (what was up with Teresa's?). To me, it felt like Dashner cast characters aside as if they were nothing important, but they were to me and I felt somewhat neglected as a reader. 

Lastly, though I felt like the ending was satisfactory, it left too many questions unanswered. Seeing that this is the last book in the installment featuring these characters, we will probably never get these answers and that dissapointed me. There has been way too much detail to the mysteriousness of the entire plot to suddenly leave it be without an explanation. 

So though I liked it and have peace with the ending, it dissapointed me to some extent. It is still a very enjoyable book series, and very original too, but some flaws simply cannot be overlooked. 

3 stars because:
✓ Good ending
✓ Interesting plot
✓ Action-filled
✗ Many questions unanswered
✗ Too many rushed character deaths
✗ Inconsistency in pace
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...