Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten All Time Favorite Classics

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Broke and the Bookish. Want to participate? Head over to their blog and find out how it works!

I've been meaning to do this meme for ages but it always slipped my mind. What better time to start than in the middle of university midterms, when I really should be studying? Exactly. This week's theme was to create a top ten of all time favorite books in a genre of choice. I decided to go with classics. 

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
This is one of my all time favorite books, period. Since most of you have probably read this classic (if you haven't run to the nearest library or bookshop and educate yourself!) no explanation is needed.

2. 1984 by George Orwell
I had to read this for my IB-class but that did not stop me from loving this book. It's quite frightening, but there's so much tension and Orwell has a real knack for writing. The book is filled with symbolism and in a way it is educating too (about the dangers of our modern world)

3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Again a book I had to read for IB. I loved this one because it is very easy to relate to the main character and it is a really accurate depiction of the 1950's. 

4. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien
Technically these count as three books but they're too good to leave them aside. This adventurous fantasy is gripping from beginning to end. 

5. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
A classic masterpiece from beginning to end, filled with symbolism and beautifully written. In a way it is even more brilliant to act out this play (which you've already gathered I have)

6. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
I love this classic because it is a real pageturner. Furthermore, this also has a plot that is really exciting but a bit frightening too. There are some horrifying scenes (which is the kind of thing I'm into, I'm not even going to deny it.

7. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
This book was really hard to get into because the writing is dreadfully descriptive and even boring at times. the story is really interesting though and even though I'm personally not religious, I loved the comparisons with a certain biblical story.

8. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
This was a really weird read and I'm still not really sure what to think of it. It's completely the opposite of what was considered a decent topic to write about though and I love controversial books. 

9. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
I read this book in French and it was surprisingly easy to read (it is a children's book after all). This is an adorable story with illustrations that contains a fair amount of wise lessons too. 

10. The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
This is a different kind of classic from the other books on the list but I adore fairytales. I was surprised by the cruel undertone all stories contained because modern adaptions have left these parts out. It did make it a lot of fun to read the original though. 

What are some of your favorite classics? Tell me in a comment below!
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...