Review: Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
◆ Read January/February 2014
◆ English Edition
◆ 

❝ Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
The Delirium-series is much loved around the world and it has quickly become a serious hype among avid book readers and Young Adult fans. While I enjoyed the first book Delirium, it did not live up to my expectations at all.

Before my rant begins let me just say that the leading concept in the book - love as a disease - is an excellent idea and one of the aspects that redeemed the book for me. From the first page of the book the concept intrigued me - why it's a disease, who are infected by it, what happens, how people deal with it etc. It's basically like any other disease we know except this is love were talking about, something we humans see as one of the most wonderful things in the world. It's a lot of fun to see an author mold and twist a concept the into something bad and terrifying and make it believable to the reader too.

Furthermore, the writing was very easy to get through. The author has a fluent and catchy style and I especially loved the little snippets of text at the beginning of each chapter that described something about "Deliria".

That is all I really enjoyed about this book though. My main issue with Delirium is that it is  really predictable. Not even a little bit, but a lot. From the beginning of the book I was aware that the protagonist Lena would fall in love (because a female character in a YA dystopian novel always defies the system they live in). The moment Alex was introduced I knew that it was he whom Lena would fall for. I also realized quickly that they would eventually run away together. I could go on and on like this, really. I do not have a superpower that allows me to see the future, it is all because of the predictability of the story.

When things are predictable they quickly become boring too, as was the case here. I was bored out of my skull for about half of the book, even if the other half was exciting. It did not really help that the main character is incredibly dull. Considering that the book is written form her point of view it really is a bit of downside. A lot of things are happening to her, but because of her average, uninteresting characteristics, I just couldn't bring myself to care about what happened to her. I didn't care at all.

The romance was fine and the concept was really thought provoking, but not incorporated as well as I had hoped. Furthermore, the utter predictability of the plot and the dullness of the protagonist made the book somewhat boring. I will be reading the second book in the Delirium-series in the off chance that it might be better as the first book though. 

3 stars because:
✓Interesting, thought-provoking concept
✓Good writing style
✗Really predictable
✗Uninteresting main character
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...