January Book Haul


Because of christmas shopping I was not able to purchase any books in December (a big dissapointment obviously). But, it's a new month now and I was able to order three titles, so here is my january book haul!


❝ TWO MISFITS. ONE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE. 
It's 1986 and two star-crossed teens are smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love--and just how hard it pulled you under.

 A cross between the iconic '80s movie Sixteen Candles and the classic coming-of-age novel Looking for Alaska, Eleanor & Park is a brilliantly written young adult novel.
I read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell in 2013 and absolutely loved it. Naturally, I've been meaning to read her other books too and Eleanor & Park was next on the list. I've wasted no time in starting this book when it was delivered in my house and it's been so intriguing that I nearly missed my train stop on my way home. I can't wait to write a review about it!

❝ After her parents' bitter divorce, young Maisie Farange finds herself shuttled between her selfish mother and vain father, who value her only as a means for provoking each other. And when both take lovers and remarry, Maisie solitary, observant and wise beyond her years is drawn into an increasingly entangled adult world of intrigue and sexual betrayal, until she is finally compelled to choose her own future. Published in 1897 when Henry James was becoming increasingly experimental with narrative technique and fascinated by the idea of the child's-eye view, What Maisie Knew is a subtle, intricate yet devastating portrayal of an innocent adrift in a corrupt society.
There are a few occasions when I actually feel inspired to read a book because I saw/heard about the movie. Admittedly this was the case with What Maisie Knew too. I had never heard of it but a movie of the same name came out in 2013 and the synopsis sounded great. I'm not one to watch movies without having read the book so I'll be reading What Maisie Knew before watching the movie. 

❝On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?❞
Gone Girl has literally been everywhere on goodreads: in suggestions, reviews and even as a winner of the 2012 Goodreads Choice Awards. Its popularity cannot be denied and it does really sound like a very interesting story which I'm excited to read. One point of critique is the horrible cover though, it seems so boring and meaningless and is quite off-putting. I don't decline a book because of a cover but it is factor I take into account when I am viewing books. 
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...