Overview: 2013 in Books

Happy holidays everyone! 

I've decided to use these (relatively) stress free days to try and finish my 2013 Goodreads Reading Challenge, write a few more reviews AND  do an overview of 2013 in terms of books.

As you have already noticed, I've been reading and reviewing less in these past few months. This is mainly because university demands me to spend all my time on Criminology, but also because my sister and her (now 1 month old!) son are still at my parents house and naturally I cuddle and play with him a lot. It's for this reason exactly that I will not make my goal of 50 books in one year. At my current count I've read as many books as last year, 48, but I'm trying to finish Inferno in the upcoming last days of 2013 to at least have read one more book than last year.

A review of Scarlet by Marissa Meyer is in progress so you'll see that soon and I might write a review for Inferno aswell, depending entirely on the time I'll have.

But before any of that comes along, here's my 2013 in books!

Favorite book published in 2013
Out of all the books I've read that were published in 2013, The Cuckoo's Calling was the one that surprised me most. I started reading with the possibility of dissapointment in the back of mind. J.K. Rowling is one of my favorite authors but I was afraid to expect too much since this was her first crime novel and  er first novel for adults was not well received either. Surprisinfly, this book turned out to be everything and so much more that a good mystery/thriller needs. It was well written, there was action, there was character insight and - more importantly - there was a mystery to which the answer wasn't obvious. If you want to know more on why I liked it so much, read my review: http://brilliantbookshelftheblog.blogspot.nl/2013/09/review-cuckoos-calling.html#more

Favorite classic read in 2013
I haven't read that many classics in 2013 (East of Eden, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Lord of the Flies and The Great Gatsby), but out of those I like The Lord of The Flies best. It explores some amazing themes and I just love what Golding did with the plot and characters. If you're ever thinking of reading a classic, remember this one because it isn't excruciatingly long and very exciting. 

Favorite book cover of 2013

The say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but truthfully the cover is one of the first things I like at when I'm browsing. I couldn't decide on one cover so I took two. The first is from The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, the second cover is from The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Most anticipated book of 2014
At last we have the book I'm most excited about for 2014. This wasn't a particularly hard choice, since I've been dying to read the last book in the Lunar Chronicles series, Cress. I loved the first book and the second one was even better so I can't wait to see what the third and final instalment will bring! 
What is your favorite read from 2013? Let me know in a comment! 

Sifra
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...