Review: Looking for Alaska



◆ Looking For Alaska by John Green
◆ Read October 2013
◆ English Edition
◆ 
❝ Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.
The first book I've read by John Green is The Fault in Our Stars. Which is probably why this book - which is also immensely popular and his first book too- dissapointed me a little bit.


The thing is that I disliked the first half of the book. The whole school system seemed unreal and I could not really connect to the characters. But somewhere along the way I got attached to the characters anyway, and then came the 'big surprise' that left me both sad and amazed with Green's talent (those of you who have read the book, you know what I'm talking about). After that I basicly liked every second of reading this book because I could finally appreciate the humor and knowledge incorporated.

For this exact reason - that i hated it and loved it - I'm in no way unable to give this any proper review. You might fall in love with the story and the characters or you might feel the need to throw the book, but I think it's something that differs per person. 

What I can say though is that John Green has grown as a writer and that he has a certain style that makes his book so special. They stay with you for a long time.

3 stars because:
✓ Brilliant climax
✗First part of the book is rather boring and unrealistic
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...