September Book Haul

Living as a student is anything but cheap. However, there was a discount at an online shop I usually  buy my books from that allowed me to buy 3 for the price of 2. Here are my three new purchases!




❝ Nine-year-old Oskar Schell is an inventor, amateur entomologist, Francophile, letter writer, pacifist, natural historian, percussionist, romantic, Great Explorer, jeweller, detective, vegan, and collector of butterflies. When his father is killed in the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centre, Oskar sets out to solve the mystery of a key he discovers in his father's closet. It is a search which leads him into the lives of strangers, through the five boroughs of New York, into history, to the bombings of Dresden and Hiroshima, and on an inward journey which brings him ever closer to some kind of peace.
I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time now but could never get my hands on it. I haven't read anything by Jonathan Safran Foer before so this is a brand new experience. I might do a book VS movie comparison once I've read/seen both!

❝ Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.
After. Nothing is ever the same.
The only book I've read by John Green is The Fault In Our Stars, which absolutely blew me away! Many people have expressed dismay or skepticism about his other books, claiming that they aren't nearly as good, but I'm very willing to find that out for myself!

❝ Cambridge student Serena Frome’s beauty and intelligence make her the ideal recruit for MI5. The year is 1972. The Cold War is far from over. England’s legendary intelligence agency is determined to manipulate the cultural conversation by funding writers whose politics align with those of the government. The operation is code named “Sweet Tooth.”
Serena, a compulsive reader of novels, is the perfect candidate to infiltrate the literary circle of a promising young writer named Tom Haley. At first, she loves his stories. Then she begins to love the man. How long can she conceal her undercover life? To answer that question, Serena must abandon the first rule of espionage: trust no one.
I've already read two books by Ian McEwan: Atonement and On Chesil Beach. The first was much better than the second but then again they take place in completely different times and the plots are very different. I love history and I love strong female protagonists evevn more, so I'm positive that McEwan won't dissapoint me with Sweet Tooth.

 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...