Review: UnEnchanted


UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn
◆ Read September 2013
◆ English Edition
◆ 
❝ Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her newfound fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairytale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.❞
I wanted to like this book so badly, mainly because I love the Grimm fairytales a lot and the concept sounded very original. Unfortunately, I did not like it nearly as much as I hoped I would. 

What I really liked  was that the plot - though a bit undeveloped - was really original. It is not something I have read about before and the author deserves all the credit for coming up with such an interesting idea!

However, I have to shamefully admit that I did not really like the characters ...(I might have even hated them). Protagonist Mina is both selfless and incredibly clumsy, the so-called unpopular girl but also the love of popular guy Brody's life. I felt as though the author wanted to make readers like this girl so badly she gave her a bunch of good and bad traits to even it and make her realistic. This resulted in such contradicting character though that I was unable to connect to her, nor did I like her which made it really hard to get through the book. The same goes for the other characters whom seemed either undeveloped or too stereotypical. 

This one of the occasions where I actually felt that I was too old for a young adult-book, which I've never experienced before. I even read children's stories sometimes but I never fail to connect with them. They way this was written reminded me strongly of something that would appeal to 13 year old girls (this is not an insult in any way, I've been 13 too). And that's perfectly fine but it made me (as an 18 year old reader) dissapointed. The writing was too simplistic and the characters behaved to childish for their age. 

Contrary to all this, I did like the fantasy/magic parts of the story though and would gladly have seen more of that. It's a bit of a shame that I did not enjoy this book, but that definitely doesn't mean that it's bad. It's simply in need of improvement. As far as recommending this to someone goes, I'd say it's perfect if you're between 13-15 years old. You'll probably like it!

2 stars because:
✓ Super original concept
✗ Unlikeable characters
✗ Writing too simplistic/childish


 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...