Review: Devil's Peak


◆ Devil's Peak by Deon Meyer
◆ Read August 2012
◆ Dutch Edition
◆ 
❝ A gruesome abuse case has hit the newsstands, and one man has taken it upon himself to stand up for the children of Cape Town. When the accused is found stabbed through the heart by spear, it's only the beginning of a string of bloody murders - and of a dangerous dilemma for detective Griessel. The detective is always just one step behind as someone slays the city's killers. But the paths of Griessel and the avenger collide when a young prostitute lures them both into a dangerous plan - and the two find themselves with a heart-stopping problem that no system of justice could ever make right. ❞
It has been a while since I've read a book as brilliant as this literary thriller. It exceeded my expectations in every way and I regret that I left it unopened on my bookshelf for so long!

Having read many thrillers in the past, I know what to expect: usually a thrilling, murder of some sort, but written in a style which one can call average and characters with very little development. I don't read them in order to be stunned by the writing, but only because the plot interests me.

However, Devil's peak, had an amazing plot, aswell as in-depth characters and a decent writing style filled with literary devices. As surprised as I was to realize it, it made me even more eager to continue reading. 
There were clichés, like the drunk policeman, but I was so pleased with the characters and their development that I could overlook that tiny thing. Not to mention that the setting, South Africa, is not your typical place in a thriller, and it shows the reader a great perspective on the inequality in Africa. This is definitely a book I would recommend to others!

5 stars because:
✓ Original setting
✓ Interesting and developing characters
✓ Great tension and pace
✗ Main character's drinking problem was a cliché
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...